The summer heat can be deadly to pets as the hot summer weather sets in and the temperature and humidity start to soar to dangerous levels. Sunburn, heatstroke, and dehydration are the dangers your pets can suffer from, even the healthiest ones.
Dogs cannot regulate their body temperature other than by panting while in a hot environment, which can cause swelling in the mouth and throat. This swelling causes difficulty in breathing for Brachycephalic or short-nosed breeds like English bulldogs, Toy spaniels, Pugs, Boxers, Shih Tzus, Bull Mastiffs, Chow Chows, Pekingese, and Lhasa Apso. Additionally, swelling of the mouth and throat can cause air to have trouble moving through the lungs, which in extreme circumstances, increases the risk of asphyxia.
You have to be vigilant about the symptoms of overheating in your pets. It might cost them their life – some of the symptoms are:
- Difficulty in breathing
- Excessive panting
- A faster heartbeat and breathing rate
- Excessive drooling
- Mild to severe fatigue
- Seizures, bloody diarrhea and vomit, and elevated body temperatures of over 102. (These are severe symptoms. Take them to an emergency clinic immediately.)
Checklist To Protect Your Pets From Summer Heat
- Use a cooling vest for dogs or wet a bandana and refrigerate it before tying it around their necks
- Bring cool water with you or make cool water available for your pet
- Put frozen raw food in Kongs or West Paws
- Make sure to trim their coat
- Ensure your cat gets brushed more often
- Avoid the scorching sun and hot asphalt by walking early in the morning or later in the evening
Where to Source Frozen Raw Pet Food?
The safety of pets during summer should be the utmost concern of pet owners because, unlike humans, pets cannot find ways to cool themselves better.
On a hot day, frozen raw pet food is the best option for your pets. Houston Raw Pet Food can provide your pets a healthy, fresh, and organic raw pet food selections. We ensure that our raw pet food is purely natural and can help improve your pets' overall health.
Feel free to call us or drop us a line at any time. Our pet nutrition specialists are available to assist you in making informed decisions about the nutrition and care of your pets!